Graduate Application Process

Here are brief outlines of our application process. More detailed information can be found in your student housing portal, My UAHome (a UA NetID and password is required to access it).

La Aldea is home to graduate and professional students and post-baccalaureate visiting scholars (the latter on a space-available basis). The application processes for these two groups are different. We accept applications all year and will continue to accept applications until all spaces are filled.

Graduate students who meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a registered University of Arizona student and maintain such status to live in La Aldea.
  • You have been fully admitted by the UA Graduate College into a graduate level program, OR you have been fully admitted into a non-baccalaureate professional program (e.g.: Law, Medicine, PharmD, etc.).
  • You have been issued a Student ID number and PIN.
  • You have created a UA NetID and have established your CatMail email address (
  • You are not planning to share your living space with pets, partners*, or children (none of which can be accommodated by on-campus housing). 

*If you and your partner both meet the first four criteria and would like to live together as roommates (still without children or pets), this option is available. Contact for details.

  • Complete the Online Graduate Housing Application in My UAHome
  • Pay the $100 non-refundable application fee.
  • Sign and submit the Graduate Housing License Agreement electronically right after you complete your online housing application in My UAHome.
    • The License Agreement is your campus housing "contract" and establishes what you can expect from us and what we expect of you while living in on-campus housing. It also signifies your agreement to abide by La Aldea's Community Standards.
    • The License Agreement is in effect from August 1 or the date you move in (whichever is earlier), through July 31.
    • All students who plan to live in La Aldea must read and agree to the terms of the License Agreement for each calendar year.

  • Housing & Residential Life will notify you when/if you are assigned to La Aldea.
    • If assigned, your assignment information will be available to you on the Application Status page of your housing application in My UAHome.
    • Housing & Residential Life will send all official correspondence to your UA email address.

If you have additional questions, please email

  • Late cancellation fee:
    • If you are a current/continuing resident who has applied to continue in/return to Graduate Housing for the Calendar Year and you cancel your application to continue/return on or after June 1, you will be charged a $600 late cancellation fee.
    • If you are a new Graduate Housing resident AND your Expected Arrival Date is in July or August AND you cancel your Graduate Housing application after June 1, you will be charged a $600 late cancellation fee.
    • If you are a new Graduate Housing resident AND your Expected Arrival Date is on or after September 1 AND you cancel your Graduate Housing application within thirty (30) days of the Expected Arrival Date, you will be charged a $600 late cancellation fee.

The housing contract you signed is for the academic year. Please read through your Graduate Housing License Agreement for factors and penalties and contact Housing & Residential Life for more information.

As detailed in section 10 of the Graduate Housing License Agreement, you will be released from the calendar year rent committment only under the following circumstances (does NOT apply if you are evicted/removed from campus housing for conduct-related reasons):

  • You move out of campus housing and withdraw from and discontinue enrollment as a student at the University of Arizona (and do not re-enroll at any time during the remainder of that academic year). Rent charges for which you would still be responsible are described in section 10 of the License Agreement.
  • You move out of campus housing by December 31 to participate in a University-approved internship, study abroad or student exchange program that will 1) require you to reside outside the Tucson metropolitan area during the spring semester, or 2) result in you not being enrolled in spring semester classes at the University. Under these circumstances, you will need to provide the Housing Assignment Services office with a copy of official documentation showing your participation in such a program by the end of December to avoid additional rent charges.
  • You graduate from the University of Arizona and move out of campus housing by December 31.
  • You complete all coursework necessary for your advanced degree at the end of the fall semester, officially change status with the Graduate College to "all but dissertation" (ABD) and move out of campus housing by December 31. You will need to provide the Housing Assignment Services office with a copy of official documentation from your academic department or the Graduate College showing your change in status by the end of December to avoid additional rent charges.


In rare cases after moving into campus housing, a student encounters an extreme, unforeseeable and uncontrollable problem that interferes with her/his ability to continue living in campus housing and for which Housing & Residential Life is not able to provide a reasonable solution/alternative within campus housing facilities. The nature of these problems is typically medical, psychological and/or financial.

All appeals to terminate a housing contract for reasons other than those described in the Graduate License Agreement must be submitted in writing for review by the Housing Contract Appeals Committee. This committee is made up primarily of faculty and staff from outside Housing & Residential Life. Contract appeals will be considered ONLY after you have sought assistance from the Program Manager of Graduate Experience to resolve the problem, and all other, less extreme options have been exhausted – including transferring to a different room, room type, residence hall or apartment.

If you wish to submit an appeal, you must complete the License Agreement Contract Appeal Form and submit that form along with supporting documentation to Housing Assignment Services. The supporting documentation required depends on the reason(s) for your appeal.

Documentation requirement for appeals based on:

A completed appeal should be submitted well prior to the date on which you would like to move out of campus housing. Completed appeals received less than three weeks prior to the date you wish to move out may not be reviewed by that date. If you have already moved out of campus housing, your appeal will be accepted and reviewed only if it is received within 60 days of the day you moved out.

Once La Aldea is close to becoming full, you will tell us when you would like to move in and out and provide preferences as to what apartment/bedroom types you would like. There is no application fee nor need to complete the License Agreement until/unless Housing & Residential Life is able to accommodate you.